Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center recognizes the vital need for diversity and inclusion at all levels of our organization. In order to continue and expand upon our tradition of excellence in clinical care, research, and education, it is essential that our faculty, fellows, and residents represent a range of perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences, and reflect the diversity of patients we serve.
We recognize that working toward inclusivity and against inequality, inequity, and implicit bias is an ongoing process, and we are committed to engaging fully in it. Below are some resources to better understand our efforts:
- Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at CUIMC’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion supports the recruitment, development, promotion and retention of trainees, faculty and staff in the department; and advocates for the needs of our diverse patient population. This office also represents the department on matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion with the medical school, the medical center, and the hospital.
- Diversity in Medicine Visiting Scholars Program: This program provides support for fourth year medical students from diverse backgrounds to participate in an advanced elective rotation at our institution. The goal of the program is to provide exposure to careers in academic medicine and to recruit motivated students who are dedicated to the care of the underserved.
- NYP Health Matters Diversity and Inclusion: Learn about the initiatives NewYork-Presbyterian has put in place to ensure an inclusive workplace for its employees, and how its healthcare teams embrace diversity to provide better patient care.
- CUIMC Queer and Ally Partnership: Promotes and serves diversity, health, and wellness; creates safe opportunities to build social network; and advocates for equality, visibility, and recognition amongst the CUIMC LGBTQ community.
- P&S Diversity Counsel: Develops programs and opportunities that build and maintain a positive and supportive environment for minority medical students, graduate students, and resident physicians.
- Virginia Kneeland Frantz Society: Serves, supports, and celebrate the advancement of careers of women at all ranks in the health sciences and medicine at Columbia University Medical Irving Medical Center
- The Office of Faculty Professional Development, Diversity & Inclusion: Offers resources and programs that aim to support the needs of CUIMC’s diverse faculty
- Kenneth A. Forde Diversity Alliance: Brings together minority medical students, resident physicians, fellows, faculty; seeks to develop networking opportunities, promote diversity awareness, foster mentoring relationships
- Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs: Supports the college’s focus on recruiting, counseling, and nurturing a diverse student body and provides guidance, programming, and support for multicultural organizations and initiatives
We also have a committee to address diversity recruitment for our residency and fellowship positions. Our committee is available to answer questions via email addresses provided below. These are the members of our committee: