Your Care During COVID-19
Policies, procedures, and what to expect during your visit
As your healthcare provider, your safety and wellbeing are of the highest importance to us. We have expanded safety measures with new policies and procedures to minimize the risk to our patients, providers, and staff.
You can count on receiving the high-touch, top-quality care that you have come to expect from Columbia, whether you come to see us in our offices or participate in Virtual Visits.
Your Safety Comes First
While we are conducting many provider visits via telehealth, we are also scheduling in-person visits with providers when necessary and appropriate. We have made many changes to our policies and procedures in order to minimize your risk as well as that of our providers and staff. Many of these changes will make your care experience even smoother and more efficient than before.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
Your upcoming visit will be conducted according to safety protocols established by Columbia University Irving Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian. These appointments may require extra time and patience for all involved.
To ensure that your visit goes smoothly, please review all of the information below.
Labor and Delivery
For our patients on Labor & Delivery, we have made important changes to our visitor policy. At this time, we are allowing one constant, asymptomatic birth support person for laboring patients. Please see NYP's General Visitation Guidelines and Labor and Delivery FAQ for more information.
What to do Before Your Appointment
Confirm that you have access to the Connect Patient Portal and Your MyChart account.
- Access to the patient portal is crucial for ensuring an efficient visit.
- If you do not have a MyChart account, visit myconnectnyc.org, complete the form, and respond to the security questions to confirm your identity.
- Pre-register for your visit via MyChart on the Connect Patient Portal
- Install the MyChart app on your mobile device via the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
- Once in the app, search for "Columbia University Irving Medical Center," and select it as your primary institution.
Access your forms
Your care team may have digital copies of your patient forms that you can fill out and sign online prior to your appointment. For more information, contact your care team.
When to Arrive for Your Appointment
Plan to enter 15 minutes prior to your appointment time, allowing for screening and check-in.
Please do not arrive earlier than the designated timeframe. Our goal is to minimize the number of people in our offices and waiting rooms to protect everyone's safety. If you arrive early, please wait in your car or outside of the building until the appropriate time.
Safety Procedures, Screening, and Visitors
The following safety precautions will be taken for your safety, and the safety of our staff:
- Patient Screening: In addition to pre-screening for COVID-19 symptoms before you arrive, you will be screened upon your arrival via temperature check and several brief questions.
- Mask Use: All individuals in Columbia and NYP clinical facilities must wear a mask at all times. Patients will be provided with a mask upon arrival if they do not already have one.
- Hand Washing: When you arrive at the office we kindly request that you wash your hands, or sterilize them with available hand sanitizer.
- Personal Protective Equipment: Our care teams follow CDC guidelines, have the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and wear it at all times. We have also established screening and testing protocols for our care teams.
- Cleaning and Disinfecting: Our locations are repeatedly and thoroughly sanitized throughout each day. Exam rooms are cleaned extensively between patient visits.
- Visitors: For your safety, and the safety of our patients and staff, there are limitations on visitors who may accompany you inside our offices for your appointment.
- Minors below the age of 17 may be accompanied by one parent or guardian
- Adults with mobility or cognative impairment may be accompanied by one other person
Please contact your provider's office with any questions about your specific circumstances or needs.
Your Visit with a Provider
After you have checked in at the front desk, a member of our clinical team will escort you directly to the examination where you will see your provider.
All of our locations are currently operational and seeing patients for virtaul visits and in-person visits when appropriate and necessary. See a list of our locations.
Resources for Patients
For patients seeking fertility treatment, please visit columbiafertility.org for more information on their updated procedures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
For our pregnant patients, we have information and resources to help you stay safe during your pregnancy and delivery.
All patients can also visit cuimc.columbia.edu for more information.