Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is strongly committed to supporting the needs of our patients, faculty, staff, and community by developing and promoting initiatives that foster diversity, inclusivity, and equity at all levels.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Columbia University Irving Medical Center’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion supports the recruitment, development, promotion and retention of trainees, faculty and staff in the department; and advocates for the needs of our diverse patient population. This office also represents the department on matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion with the medical school, the medical center, and the hospital.
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Department of Ob/Gyn was established in 2020 based on the recommendation of the Antiracism Task Force that had been convened earlier that year. The office was created with the goal of enhancing equity for three primary groups of stakeholders: faculty, staff, and patients.
We envision an Obstetrics & Gynecology department that promotes a culture of diversity and inclusion, building a future without inequities and health disparities.
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s mission encompasses patient care, faculty/staff development, and community impact. We are committed to advancing health equity and improving health outcomes while promoting a culture of belonging and inclusion in our department. Our commitment to these values is unwavering and reflects our determination to be a leader in these efforts.
- Provide outstanding and equitable health care through a health justice lens
- Foster a culture that is welcoming and supportive of difference
- Engage in research efforts to understand and combat health disparities
Faculty and Staff
- Support, mentor, and educate our faculty and staff on diversity issues and antiracism
- Continuously seek opportunities to increase the number of talented diverse faculty and staff through targeted recruitment, retention, and promotion
Community Engagement and Impact
- Represent and reflect the unique experiences, perspectives, and viewpoints of the communities we serve
- Promote strong partnerships between the department and the community at large
- Address social determinants of health
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is led by three directors, including two faculty co-directors, one to represent the needs of faculty and trainees and the other to represent the needs of patients, as well as an administrative director to represent the needs of staff.
Ana Cepin, MD
- Faculty Co-Director Representing Patient Stakeholders
Ana Cepin, MD serves as Director of Community Women’s Heath, Medical Director of the Family Planning Practice at the Ambulatory Care Network, and a local and national advocate for women’s sexual and reproductive health.
Debra Keller, MPA, SHRM-SCP
- Administrative Co-Director Representing Staff Stakeholders
Debra Keller is the Director of Human Resources, Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development in the Department of Ob/Gyn and has extensive experience working with staff across the medical center.
Jessica Opoku-Anane, MD, MS
- Faculty Co-Director Representing Faculty Stakeholders
Jessica Opoku-Anane, MD, MS is a minimally invasive gynecologic surgeon and an Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at CUMC.