Rini Banerjee Ratan, MD. is the Vice Chair of Education and the Berkowitz Family Professor of Women’s Health in the Department of Ob/Gyn at at Columbia University Medical Center. She is currently the Residency Program Director and Chair of the Graduate Medical Education Committee of NewYork-Presbyterian/CUMC. She also served as medical student Clerkship Director for eleven years.
After earning her undergraduate degree at Yale University, she attended Harvard Medical School and completed her residency training at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital. Her academic interests include developing innovative methods to enhance the quality of medical education. Dr. Ratan has received the Charles W. Bohmfalk Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, the APGO Excellence in Teaching Award, and the AMWA Outstanding Female Physician Award.
Dr. Ratan is a Fellow of the Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators at CUMC. She has served on numerous committees at the NBME, including Chair of the USMLE Women’s Health Task Force, and currently sits on the Board of the NBME. She also serves as an oral board examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Pregnancy Care
- Routine Gynecologic Care
- Berkowitz Family Professor of Women's Health (in Obstetrics and Gynecology) at CUMC
- Vice Chair of Education
- Residency Program Director
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
Quality Health Management
- Quality Health Management
- Special Needs
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Residency: Brigham & Women's Hospital - Harvard
- Residency: 1999 Brigham & Women's Hospital
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Honors & Awards
- 2019 Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators Grant AuduBon-Bons, Bite-Sized Learning for Residents in the Ambulatory Ob/Gyn Clinic
- 2017 Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators Grant P&S Partners in Pregnancy: A longitudinal, patient-centered program for preclinical students
- 2015 Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators Grant Multimedia versus traditional informed consent for cesarean section: A randomized controlled trial
- 2014 Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators Grant A prospective trial: traditional versus video-based teaching for minimally invasive gynecologic surgery
- 2012 APGO 2012 Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2011 Charles W. Bohmfalk Award for Distinguished Contributions to Teaching in the Clinical Years
- 2008 Glenda Garvey Teaching Academy Fellow
- 2007 APGO
- 2007 Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2005 AMWA Clinical Years Mentor Award
- 2005 AAMC Humanism in Medicine Award Nominee
- 2004 APGO
- 2004 Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2004 AMWA Outstanding Female Physician Award
- 1991 Summa Cum Laude, Yale University
- 1991 Phi Beta Kappa, Yale University
- 1991 Morse College Fellows’ Cup, Yale University
- 1991 Richter Fellowship, Yale University
- Margolis B, Blinderman C, Buckley de Meritens A, Chatterjee-Paer S, Ratan RB, Prigerson HG, Hou JY, Burke WM, Wright JD, Tergas AI. Educational Intervention to Improve Code Status Discussion Proficiency among Obstetrics and Gynecology Residents. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2017 Jan 1:1049909117733436. doi: 10.1177/1049909117733436. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28950726 3.
- Guiahi M, Lim S, Westover C, Ratan RB. Routine abortion training matters for obstetrics and gynecology residents. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Dec 2013; 3, 727-731.
- Amorosa JH, Graham MJ, Ratan RB. Medical Students as Learners: Transforming the Resident-Level Microskills of Teaching into a Parallel Curriculum for Medical Students to Aid the Transition from Classroom to Clerkship. Education for Health, Apr 2013; Vol 25(3): 135-40.
- Ratan RB. Ask the Expert Series - Companion Questions written for Management of the Adnexal Mass by Liu, JH and Zanotti, KM. Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jun 2011; Vol 117(6): 1413-28.
- Winkel AF, Hermann N, Graham MJ, Ratan RB. No Time to Think: Making Room for Reflection in Obstetrics & Gynecology Residency. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. Dec 2010; Vol 2 (4): 610-15.
- Ratan RB, Pica AG, Berkowitz RB. A Model for Instituting a Comprehensive Program of Remediation for At-Risk Residents. Obstetrics and Gynecology,Nov 2008; Vol 112(5):1155-9.